Tuesday 20 July 2010

Ed Miliband Now More Favoured Leadership Candidate After Strong Hustings Performance

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/may/23/ed-miliband-labour-leader-kinnock
I went to last Friday's Labour leadership hustings meeting with my mind more or less made up about who would get my vote as first preference in the forthcoming ballot.

I was not expecting to come away having altered my views on any of the candidates, having already decided, like many people, to go with David Miliband as my first choice.

However, it was his brother Ed, who was the most fluent of all the five running for the job. I was especially impressed with his closing remarks and the way he delivered them. I really felt he connected with the audience in a way that the others, including his more experienced older brother, failed to do.

In fact, I found the former foreign secretary's oratory disappointing on this occasion.  I have seen him perform much better at previous meetings.

Former Labour leader, Lord Kinnock, now one of the Party's elder statesmen, said shortly after the general election that Ed Miliband has the combination of qualities required to lead Labour back to power.

I believe Kinnock is right.  Not only does Ed Miliband put Labour's case across exceptionally well; he is warm, affable and engaging.

It is entirely possible, that even if his brother gets the most first preference votes, Ed will win enough second and third preferences to snatch the leadership at the last minute.

Ed Miliband has the making of a great Prime Minister and will be my first choice as the next leader of the Labour Party.

No comments:

Post a Comment